Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 09:04:51 -0500

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 15:25 +0530, nikhil jain wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I am coming across a strange issue in gmake.
> in Job.c there is a condition -
>
> /* Now try a blocking wait for a remote child.  */
> pid = remote_status (&exit_code, &exit_sig, &coredump, 1);
>
> this pid is coming as -1 and errorno set to 10 means no child.

remote_status() tells you the result of waiting for *REMOTE* children.
That is, children that are running on another host not the local host.

The standard build of GNU make does not support any remote operations and
it links in the remote-stub.c file which provides do-nothing versions of
all the remote functions.

In this case, the fact that remote_status() returns -1 means that there
were no *remote* children running, it doesn't mean that there were no
children at all running.  When this status is returned make will continue
processing local children.