Target driven rule building

From: Oliver Burghard
Subject: Target driven rule building
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:34:48 +0100

Hello,

I have the following problem, that I am sure other people had as well and
wonder if it is possible with make or if somebody knows a different program
well suited instead.

I have a collection of files >100 that I need to process via multiple steps >10
into several results (some depend on multiple/all input files).

Now the processing rules also depend on parameters, that depend on the source
and target file names.

I want to describe the build process as simple as possible. Formulating all
rules is no choice. Implicit rules are no 'good' choice as their pattern
matching is too weak. Targets differ in more than one place.

What would be much better are rules automatically build for targets matching a
regular expression. And optimally the rule would depend on the target name and
on 'properties' assigned to the source files - many can possibly be inferred
from its name. Also I could use hash maps to match part of file names onto
parameter sets.

Is it formulated well enough to be understood? Any help or link how this can be
implemented in a nice (manageable) way is appreciated.

Thanks,
Oliver Burghard