Re: Multidirectory libraries make

From: icegood
Subject: Re: Multidirectory libraries make
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:26:57 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Smith-20 wrote:

> I don't understand why you have $(sublibraries) as targets.  Just make
> the rule to build the actual library invoke the sub-make:
>
> all: $(currlib)
> $(real_sublibraries) :
>         $(MAKE) "--directory=$(dir $@)" -f makefile.mak
> $(currlib) : $(obj) $(real_sublibraries)
>         ar -cqs $@ $(obj) 2>/dev/null
>
> Untested obviously.

It tested and tested for a couple of years :) With targeting of
real_sublibraries you'll obtain make that will build not all time namely
when bar depends on obj in F(bar) directory - foo doesn't know about such
change. It's just compares date of libbar.a with own one and decides do
nothing! While dependance on  $(sublibraries) works well.
The key is $(sublibraries) is .PHONY depended.
On other hand if i simply would do $(real_sublibraries)  to be  .PHONY
depended then foo will rebuild always.