RE: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:24:53 -0800

>I would need a reproducible test case to look into this, to see
whether it's a Windows-specific issue.

Impossible :)  happens in about 1 in 1 million cases, and not reproduces on the
same case over and over, just happens randomly.

>Mark, what is the shell that gets invoked by the $(shell) function,

I have SHELL=cmd.exe

>and do you have some echo.exe (e.g., a ported GNU version) somewhere

Yes, a Cygwin echo, but, the echo that gets executed by >make, and from within
makefile when I do $(shell echo...  is the Windows echo.  Cygwin echo plays no
role.

I can tell you that the words in very long list

$(foreach item, $(very_long_list), $(shell echo $(item)>>foobar.txt))

are all Windows file names, some relative some absolute, listed with
backslashes, between 10 and 100 characters long, and between 1 and 10000 of
them.  I am not sure if this could possibly be a Win gnu make but not a gnu
make issue, if you think so, let's move this discussion to win32 group, but I
won't be able to provide you with more info than above, so not sure if this is
helpful.

Mark