how to avoid GNU make extensions

From: Thomas Porschberg
Subject: how to avoid GNU make extensions
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:24:03 +0100

Hi,

we are using automake in our project and we earn some
warnings from  automake about certain constructs in our Makefile
which are extension to make.

e.g.

BUILT_SOURCES = \
                $(filter %.qm,$(TRANSLATIONS:%.ts=%.qm))

gives

 ... filter %.qm,$(TRANSLATIONS: non-POSIX variable name
 ... (probably a GNU make extension)

or

%.cpp: %.h %.ui
        $(UIC) -o $@ -i $^

gives
... `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

I would like to avoid this GNU make extensions.

Can someone give me a pointer where I can find some information
about what is "standard make" and what is "GNU make extension" and
how I can re-express some rules ?
Of course any hint regarding the rules above are welcome too.

Regards,
Thomas

--
http://www.randspringer.de