Re: Netmake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Netmake
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:33:38 -0500

%% Lucas Silva <address@hidden> writes:

  ls> Whilst doing a project in a clustered system, some of my
  ls> colleagues didn't like to use VI or EMAC, they proffered their
  ls> fancy GUI text editor. They kept asking me if I didn't have a
  ls> script or a program to automate the uploading process.

  ls> Because we were doing a distributed system and the
  ls> architecture,client and cluster, were different. The code had to
  ls> be uploaded and compiled in the cluster.

  ls> The first thing came in my mind was to check if Make or any other
  ls> tool could do that. But I couldn't find, so I created a patch that
  ls> allows Make to grab the files from different network and compile
  ls> it.

Whenever I've had to do anything like this, I just write a normal rule:

    REMOTEFILES = foo.c bar.c baz.c
    REMOTEURL   = http://some.place/else

    $(REMOTEFILES):
            wget $(REMOTEURL)/$@

Of course, you can provide a more complex operation than vanilla wget,
for example a Perl script or something that will check timestamps or
whatever; that's up to you.