Making directories on windows XP

From: Mark Jordan
Subject: Making directories on windows XP
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:50:24 +0000

Hi there,
I'm trying to do a simple thing, make a non-existing directory, and I'm
having great difficulty. I'm using windows XP, the standard command
shell and I have cygwin installed. My make version is GNU Make 3.80.

Here's the relevant portion of my makefile

PLATFORM := vc02
PRJDIR   := c:/mj/vc++
OBJDIR   := $(PRJDIR)/build/$(PLATFORM)

% : makeobjdir
        mkdir $(OBJDIR)
makeobjdir: ;

In my directory structure, neither build, or build/vc02 exist to begin with,
I want to create the build/vc02 directory.

However I get the error message

mkdir c:/mj/vc++/build/vc02
mkdir: cannot create directory `c:/mj/vc++/build/vc02': No such file or directory
make: *** [makefile] Error 1

If I change the slashes to the opposite direction for windows using:-

mkdir $(subst /,\,$(OBJDIR))

I get this error message which seems to indicate the \ characters have
been escaped wrongly...

mkdir c:\mj\vc++\build\vc02
mkdir: cannot create directory `c:\\mj\\vc++\\build\\vc02': No such file or directory
make: *** [makefile] Error 1

Is there something simple I am doing wrong? Any tips appreciated.
I've tried $(shell too, that doesn't seem to help....

Thanks,
Mark.

Staff Applications Engineer
Broadcom Europe Ltd (formerly Alphamosaic)
Mobile Multimedia Business Unit
Cambridge, UK
www.broadcom.com