Patch which allows make to use leading spaces rather than tabs

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Patch which allows make to use leading spaces rather than tabs
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:04:13 -0800

Hi,

Since I've already dived in, I created a patch which allows make to
accept leading spaces rather than tabs for the recipies (but still
preserves leading spaces for ifeq and friends).

I was spending too much time debugging problems caused by spaces being
changed to tabs, and since I created the patch, I never hear about
these problems anymore :) I think that other makes on Windows allow
leading spaces and lots of the people I work with had experience with
these makes, blah blah blah.

If anybody is interested, the patch (for version 3-80 of make) is over here:
http://www.DaveHylands.com/Software/make/

I don't know if the make maintainers would be interested in such a
patch or not, but I figured I can can at least make them aware of it
:)

Someone on another list said:

    I've also thought that was the stupidest thing, even in Unix, that the
    type of *white-space* is semantically different.
    It's as bad as the computer language "Whitespace":
    <http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php>. But that's digressing.....

which I got a good chuckle out of (the Whitespace programming
language, not the semantic differences part).

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada