Re: how to set up the vpath/VPATH entries for link lib search

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to set up the vpath/VPATH entries for link lib search
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:04:29 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> "When a prerequisite's name has the form `-lname', make handles it
  rpjd> specially by searching for the file `libname.so' in the current
  rpjd> directory, in directories specified by matching vpath search paths and
  rpjd> the VPATH search path, and then in the directories `/lib', `/usr/lib',
  rpjd> and `prefix/lib' (normally `/usr/local/lib', but MS-DOS/MS-Windows
  rpjd> versions of make behave as if prefix is defined to be the root of the
  rpjd> DJGPP installation tree).

  rpjd> If that file is not found, then the file `libname.a' is searched for,
  rpjd> in the same directories as above."

  rpjd>   ok, so what's the standard way you would set vpath?

  rpjd>   vpath %.so dir1:dir2:dir3             ??
  rpjd>   vpath lib.%so dir1:dir2:dir3          ??

Well, if you really meant "lib%.so" in the second case, then either
one.  That's assuming that you actually have shared libraries: obviously
this won't find any static libraries.