Re: non-recursive build question

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: non-recursive build question
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:07:21 -0400

sandy currier wrote:

A recursive build design trick that I have seen before and am now
dealing with is where a bunch of work (target commands are being
executed) is done only to find that the target is not actually modified.
One example of this is generating a export list of symbols for a
shared library.  Specifically, even though the object files that
go into a shared library have changed, possibly quite so, the
'external' symbol list including all argument specifications (ansi C)
has not.

When this is so, no down stream executables or other shared libs
need to be relinked with the new shared library since none of the
external symbols have changed.  In recursive build systems, a
common trick is that the make process of the shared library directory
ends up not modifying the library's export list file while it does
modify the shared library itself.  Then, when the build recurses into
another directory, creating a new instance of a new DAG, recursive
targets that depend on the export file (anything that links the
library!) will see the old export file and not relink.  Targets
that depend on the shared library, like unit tests, 'make install'
targets and the like, will see a new .so and re-run.

Sorry, I keep flip-flopping here (I haven't had my morning coffee, yet) and now
I notice my first response didn't even go out.

Anyway, I'm assuming the creation of the .exp is inexpensive compared to the
link.  It'll have to be rebuilt anyway due to added or removed symbols each
time the object files change.

So, you should be able to have something like:

foo.exp: $(OBJECT_FILES)
        # build the .exp file

bar: | foo.exp foo.so

I haven't worked with .exp files before.  What do they buy you that the .so
doesn't give?

HTH,
Noel