Re: One target, multiple possible source types

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: One target, multiple possible source types
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:02:23 -0500

%% "Nathan Royer" <address@hidden> writes:

  nr> I'm sure there is some way to not have to make one rule for every
  nr> translation into an object that has the exact same commands, but I
  nr> cannot seem to find it in the documentation and all the syntax that I've
  nr> tried does not seem to work.

  nr> For example I would like to create object files from assembly files that
  nr> have one of many suffix's such as .asm .s .s55 etc.  What I am currently
  nr> doing is the following:

  nr> %.obj: %.asm
  nr>   $(object_from_asm_command)

  nr> %obj: %.s
  nr>   $(object_from_asm_command)

  nr> %obj: %.s55
  nr>   $(object_from_asm_command)

There is no better way to do this, really.

If you have a lot of suffixes, and/or they change often, and you have
GNU make 3.80 or better, then you could do it with $(eval ...) inside a
loop.  But the above is easier to read and understand.