Re: Parallel Make

From: Tristan Van Berkom
Subject: Re: Parallel Make
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:46:15 -0500

Noel Yap wrote:
[snip]
- using --max-load. These developers can start using the proposed --jobs=infinity if they want to keep doing this.
    I was thinking along the lines of a nightly build or a machine which
is dedicated to "the production build" that happens only once at a time
on that machine (so "can we please use *all* of your resources for a
few minutes ?"), but I admit that automated use of the `-j' option is
scant to say the least.
    OTOH who am I to say what use people have made of the `-j' option ?
who says that the `-j' users are even building software with make ?

For a small, stable group of developers, it's easy to say the developers should learn how to use the tool correctly. When the number of developers grows, though, and these developers share a common set of compile servers, chances are, there's /always/ someone who needs to be educated so "educate them" will be much easier to follow if poor behaviour wasn't the default.
Agreed,
    it may take a few hours of a really sluggish build host before
we figure out that someone is hogging the resources, and that time
equals money (and this point can easily outweigh the million possible
applications of make, as they are only /possibilities/).

Cheers,
                                               -Tristan