Question about target specific variable

From: Qingyi Grace Yu
Subject: Question about target specific variable
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:05:09 -0500

Hello,

I have a question about target specific variable. My Makefile consists of following parts:
*****************************
include file_1
LIBRARY = libftcaux.so
TARG = $(LIBDIR)/$(LIBRARY)
include file_2
*****************************

In file_1, there are:
*******************************
opt : $(TARGET)
opt : LIBDIR = $(PROTODIR)/opt/lib

When I invoke make by "make opt", it returns
make: *** No rule to make target `/libftcaux.so', needed by `opt'.  Stop

That means LIBDIR is not defined in my Makefile. But if I change the target specific variable to a norml assignment, i.e. "LIBDIR = $(PROTODIR)/opt/lib" instead of "opt : LIBDIR = $(PROTODIR)/opt/lib", everything works fine.

Wondering if I'm doing anything wrong here. Could you help me?

Thanks,
-Grace

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more. http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize