Autodependedncy generation - problem with recommended method

From: David Featherstone
Subject: Autodependedncy generation - problem with recommended method
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:57:22 -0500

Hi

At the paulandlindsey website, the recommended method of autodependency generation requires that the .d dependency files be created within the same rule as that which creates the .o file.

A problem I had with this method was that because the .d file is not the rule’s target, gmake will not automatically delete this file when gmake is interrupted [e.g. CTRL-C]. The result was that my team members so frequently got truncated/corrupted .d files that I was forced to provide a separate rule for .d files.

I would like to revert to the recommended method for autodependency generation, but only if there would be some way to force the deletion of non-targets when rule execution is interrupted. Any suggestion?

Regards,

… Dave