bug work-around?

From: Albert D. Cahalan
Subject: bug work-around?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:21:34 -0500 (EST)

In procps-3.0.5 I tried to do some new non-recursive Makefile
stuff, and was rewarded with a crash. With line wrapping:

make: expand.c:489: allocated_variable_append:
Assertion `current_variable_set_list->next != 0' failed.
  Aborted

Debian has a bug #80783 that looks very similar, so I guess
the crash has something to do with this line:

$(LIBOBJ) : CFLAGS += -fpic

It's going to be a good long while before everybody has make 3.80,
so I need to do something else. Oddly, I don't get the crash on
either x86 Red Hat 7 or PowerPC debian-testing.

What I really want is a CFLAGS default that the user can override,
except that "-fpic" is always added when compiling the library.

The source:

http://procps.sf.net/
http://procps.sf.net/procps-3.0.5.tar.gz