Re: shell functions from env not available in make?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: shell functions from env not available in make?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:26:47 -0400

%% gk <address@hidden> writes:

  g> I am not seeing any function variables output from that or from env
  g> command in the shell.

In that case you must not be exporting them.  Just like normal
variables, functions have to be exported if you want them to appear in
lower-level shells.

  g> the 'set' command outputs the functions.

"set" prints all variables and functions, not only exported ones; using
"set" won't tell you if they're exported or not.

Your environment sounds a little fragile to me, if it's relying on
this.  For example, what if the shell people use is not bash?

  g> There is no bash help list that I could find.

The bash man page says:

  Once you have determined that a bug actually exists,  use  the  bashbug
  command  to submit a bug report.  If you have a fix, you are encouraged
  to mail that as well!  Suggestions and `philosophical' bug reports  may
  be  mailed  to  address@hidden  or  posted  to  the  Usenet newsgroup
  gnu.bash.bug.