Re: Need to get $MAKEFLAGS value only

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Need to get $MAKEFLAGS value only
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:51:27 -0400

%% gk <address@hidden> writes:

  g> In other words, rather than emulating Gnu make's options parsing, I
  g> would like to call Gnu make, passing some parameters and get back
  g> the value of $MAKEFLAGS, without the -C, -o, -W, -f options which
  g> aren't ever included in $MAKEFLAGS, and without the targets of
  g> course.

You don't say what you're calling GNU make from (C/C++?  Perl?  Some
other interpreter?)

But you could do something equivalent to this:

  echo '$(shell echo $(MAKEFLAGS) 1>&2)' | make -f- <options>

It's not perfect; you'll have to parse the output.

I think all things being equal it's best to just parse the command line
options yourself; it's much simpler and make's command line options
don't change very often.