Re: Posix standard for leading TABs?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Posix standard for leading TABs?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:34:42 -0400

%% Soren A <address@hidden> writes:

  sa> Is there a clear requirement set forth in the posix standards
  sa> documents that can be cited as a non-ambiguous standard for the
  sa> syntax of Makefile commands?

Um... wha?

Of course the POSIX standard defines the syntax of makefiles in a
non-ambiguous way--that's what it's for.

  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm

  sa> Is a single leading TAB character mandatory, or can there be
  sa> multiple TAB characters before the beginning of the actual command
  sa> for 'make' to spawn?

It's required to have a TAB as the first character.  Everything after
the first character is considered part of the command script.  So, if
you have >1 TAB the second and subsequent ones are included as part of
the command that make executes.

Obviously if SHELL is /bin/sh, any initial whitespace is ignored.