(no subject)

From: Janney Mark-P26816
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:07:32 -0700

I'm running on Solaris
['uname -a' says "SunOs xxx 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30"]

I'm using GNU Make 3.79.1

Basically, any file that I modify or create via standard tools (editors,
compilers, linkers, or 'touch'), is reported by GNU make as having a
modification time in the future.

By way of a test, I executed the following command line:
  touch makefile; date; make -n
Sure enough, the modification time of 'makefile' reported by GNU make is about
15 minutes ahead of the current time reported by both 'date' and GNU make.

If I add the following command to each of my build rules:
   touch `date "+%m%d%H%M"` $@
(which forces the derived file's modification time to agree with 'date')
then the problem goes away (until I modify some source file!).

I don't think that this is a bug in GNU make itself, because the Solaris
version of 'make' acts strangely, always rebuilding everything each time it is
run. After I made the above fix in the makefile, it stopped doing this; the
second run would claim that everything was up to date (as it should).

It appears that the file system uses a different time source than that used by
GNU make and 'date' (which appears to be the library routine, 'clock_gettime').

Do you have any idea how to get these two sources synchronized?

Thanks - Mark Janney