help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Getting ready for 0.0.8beta

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Getting ready for 0.0.8beta
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:08:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, October 28, 2009 7:42 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> I agree that those meta-layer png's are a must have for 0.0.8beta --
> whatever it is. I am quite curious!
OK, I'll tell you what it is. It's tonight that I'm going to hack on it ;)
Not fully done yet but well, I'm pretty sure to get it working:
- glue.png -> when fighters are on "glue", they move slower
- boost.png -> the contrary. I choose to have two pngs for that otherwise
one would have needed to use "perfect grey 0x7f" (half-way between white
and black) to have the default settings "no glue no boost no nothing". I
prefer black & white stuff.
- danger.png -> when on it, fighters die, they become "black", see the point?
- medicine.png -> the contrary, spots you want to go to feel better.

> Am I wrong, or are there a slight delay when before each sound is played?
No, you arent't. Hard to fix AFAIK, that's sort of the price to pay to
have something heavily multithreaded with message queues everywhere.

> I'll leave 0.0.8 and look a bit further into the future ...  There are of
> course a lot of things which *could* be done - a cooler menu, that wave
> effect and color shifting. But the important thing is to get the games
> basic
> components up and running. Make the game as playable as possible with the
> smallest effort.
>
> Potential ticket: replace moves per sec with something like "the whole
> level
> should be walkable in X seconds regardless of fighter size" in hints.xml,
> and to let it be possible for the player to adjust the games requirements
> so
> it fits his hardware. (we already have the ticket "Offer a way to disable
> memory-greedy features")
Hey, that's no future, I commited that 20 minutes ago or so ;) I've
implemented pretty much all you say. Automatic bench of the computer at
startup, then there's a "no brainer" global "speed" parameter which will
resize the map, change moves-per-this-is-really-developper-stuff
automatically, and make black magic so that is speed is 2 it really looks
twice as fast as if speed is 1. The default speed ("1.0") is pretty fast
IMHO, but it's cool that way. I even tried "X10". Wow. 1400 moves/sec. OK
it's pixelized, but that's a final word for those who think LW5 is faster
;)

> More important: music! I don't think I can be of much help here, but if
> someone want to create a specific LW6 soundtrack, I have a vision of some
> really fast-paced, rhythmic music, to fit with the fast-paced gameplay. I
> think it is important that the music and the gameplay work together. Maybe
> some 'world music', like in the game Endorfun. Balkan maybe? Personly, I'm
> bit hooked on Deep Forest. Here is some berimbau:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd7TWgYmgak
>
> Or the music could be inspired by ancient arcade games:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEs1joE5eOE
OK, a word about the music.

We have Tim Chadburn's tunes, which I really like. What I plan is to have
them played in the menus. They don't get in the way, it's refreshing, nice
to hear, no bother. I might "downscale" them to midi, to save space. But
there's probably a little work to be done to render them with organ
instead of piano. Then, for *the* game, I guess indeed, something more
rythmic fits. As of today I have found tunes on http://www.dogmazic.net/
which 1) are cool and 2) GPL'ed. Dogmazic has lots of Creative Commons but
*some* files are released under the GNU GPL. I picked 3 of them. That's
Ogg Vorbis so it's quite heavy (10 megs...) but well, that's cool music.

So well, you might be wondering -> OK, this guy ufoot has it all ready, so
why bother? Why? Because as a map designer you might be interested by the
fact that... the current version (so 0.0.8beta will do it of course) can
load *your* music with *your* level. Basically put an ogg/midi/mod/s3m/xm
file in the map directory, a string entry key="music-file"
value="my-music.ext" in style.xml, and go!

Have a nice day^Wnight,

ufoot.

PS: I saw your network remarks on the Savannah ticket, I agree on pretty
much every point you make.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/