help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:18:01 +0200

Kasper Hviid a écrit :
> Hello again! How's life? Any evolving in LW6?
mmm, busy as hell and happy enough, as usual 8-)

> Have you found out how much of the screen should be used for the gui?
> I would personly prefer if it only consited of a timer in the right
> upper corner. The space the gui takes up will determine the aspect
> ratio of the levels, so the size of the GUI will be a good thing to
> know, before designing any levels.
Well, from what I can tell, the option is to have "full resizable GUI".
At least latest LW snapshots do it that way. Let users resize the game
to whatever size they want... Basically I started to actually implement
some theme support. Here's how it works:
- every frame is drawn in 3 steps:
  1) draw a background, with a given theme. I decided to go a
classical/dummy "water/earth/fire/air" scheme.
  2) draw the map. There you have different options, you can display it
flat and streched "a la" Liquid War 5, or display it in any fancy
looking way (3D perspective, whatever...)
  3) draw the menu. There there's also a "menu theme". This is not
linked to the background but for colors. The background decides which
set of colors you use, then the menu uses this, but the shape of the
items is totally free. Plan is of course to have only one menu renderer
at first, being as simple as possible.
- the whole idea is that each map contains the information on what
background-theme/map-renderer/menu-handler it should use by default. The
general default is to use "water/simple/cylinder", but you can define
other defaults for each map. The point is that this way LW6 can give an
impression of diversity without having end-user players fiddle with
arcane options they'll never understand anyway. Let the complexity be on
the level designer's side. At the same time, a raw B&W .png is a correct
and working map.

> Will we stick to map.png + texture.png levels, or is it going to be
> vector? Or both?
No vector stuff. At least, should there be any vector stuff, I'd
preprocess it with some SVG library and generate a bitmap from it...

Check-out the ./data/map and ./data/gfx/sdl-gl from the latest tarball
on http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/liquidwar6/ it will give
you an idea of what's going on.

> Have you decided any standard size for the map.png and texture.png
> files? Or, if it is going to be vector, is the engine able to read any
> vector files?
Nope, no vector as I said. But accepting .svg and recreating bitmaps
internally isn't an option I dislike.

> The fighters are single pixels, moving around. In LW5, each pixels
> position was based on the size of the level: in a 320x240 pixel level,
> the warriors moved around on a 320x240 grid. But in LW6, the warriors
> will move around on a 320x240 window at the player in Australia, while
> another player uses 1024x768 fullscreen. How will this work out?
OpenGL textures smoothes this a lot, you'll play on a logical 508x356
level wether you are on a 1600x1200 screen on one side or on a 320x200
one on the other side (that already works in LW5, except scaling is ugly
when there's no dithering).

Christian

PS: forwarding this to <address@hidden> as it pretty much on-topic.

--