help-libtasn1

libtasn1 issue [was: [Secunia Research] Libtasn1 Vulnerability Report]

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Subject: libtasn1 issue [was: [Secunia Research] Libtasn1 Vulnerability Report]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:02:12 +0200

Hi,
 I've dug a little further to the previously reported issue, and it
seems there is an issue in asn1_find_node() if someone provides in
calls like asn1_read_value() a name which contains more than 65
characters between two dots.

That however I'd expect to be a very uncommon usage of libtasn1, which
is typically something like:
asn1_read_value(node, "tbsResponseData.responderID.byKey", data, &len);

That is the name is provided as a constant from the developer and these
names cannot be more than 64-variables in the '.asn' files parsed by
libtasn1. I do not believe that the library can even cope with
malicious input to that field as can be underlined by the bug.

There will be a release in the following days including that fix,
however, I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes on that issue and fix.

The issue was fixed in: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/libtasn1/commit/55207
04d075802df25ce4ffccc010ba1641bd484

Two test cases were introduced at:
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/libtasn1/commit/e43badf76307e1484fb257f271ff9a4f59258c7e