help-libtasn1

Re: Question on asn1_read_value (buffer/truncation)

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Question on asn1_read_value (buffer/truncation)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:40:19 +0100

Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've read the documentation on asn1_read_value at asn1_read_value. I'm
>>> not clear on what happens if the buffer provided to asn1_read_value is
>>> too small.
>>>
>>> Does (1) asn1_read_value fail, (2) does the function copy bytes up to
>>> size of the buffer and return truncation, or (3) copy up to size of
>>> the buffer and succeed?
>>
>> See the 'Returns' description:
>>
>>   ASN1_MEM_ERROR: The value vector isn't big enough to store the
>>   result. In this case LEN will contain the number of bytes needed.
>>
>> The contents of the buffer is undefined at that point.
> OK. Thanks.
>
> BTW, the copy I consulted does not offer return values:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtasn1/manual/libtasn1.html. Perhaps I
> should be using a different set of docs?

You've found a bug in the C->Texinfo converter.  I'll fix it (or change
the function document to match the syntax that the converter expects)
once savannah is back up again.

Btw, meanwhile you can also use the GTK-DOC manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtasn1/reference/libtasn1-libtasn1.html

The content for both is built from the same source code, but the
presentation is different.  Some people prefer one, some the other...

/Simon