help-libidn

Re: [platform-testers] libidn 1.36 pre-test and last call

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] libidn 1.36 pre-test and last call
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 08:47:54 +0200

sön 2020-05-17 klockan 15:42 +0200 skrev Dagobert Michelsen:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Am 17.05.2020 um 13:08 schrieb Simon Josefsson via platform-testers <
> address@hidden>:
> > Hi!  I have prepared a pretest of libidn 1.36, please test this as
> > if it
> > were the proper release:
> >
> > https://josefsson.org/tmp/libidn-1.36.tar.gz
> >
> > Consider this a last call for any proposed changes that you want to
> > see
> > in the next libidn release!
>
> This builds nicely on Solaris 10 sparc and x86 both 32 and 64 bit and
> all the
> tests pass.

Thank you for testing!

>  I have a question about the libidn.mo-files: can the ones for .so.12
> be used by .so.11 also? We will probably have a transition phase
> where some
> applications are still linked to .so.11 and I don’t want to duplicate
> .mo-files
> unless necessary.

I don't really know how to answer this.  We did do some translation
changes for this release, and one of Bruno's feedback on the pre-test
caused even more translation changes.  Is that enough to break things?
If so I am sorry but you will need to have two copies.  The differences
between the translations are not critical, so there would be no problem
if libidn12 used the libidn11 messages or vice versa, but I don't know
if that really works or it just fails somehow and the user gets English
instead.  Depends on your local user group I guess.

/Simon