help-gv

Re: [help-gv] default media size

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [help-gv] default media size
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:39:25 +1000

Steve,

This is a a problem that should be non-existent but, unfortunately, it is everywhere.
Once Adobe introduced the

          <</PageSize [ix iy]>> setpagedevice

construct that should have solved the question once and for all (ix, iy are the paper size
in default PS units).

Some ps processing applications don't issue it (e.g. grops, groff's ps processor), some ps viewing applications (direct or through pdf) obey it, some do their own guesswork. During system setup time there could be mixups with printer drivers or ppd files ...

Once I thought that I fixed my groff problems by modifying the prologue that grops prepends to the code generated by groff. It worked like charm with Preview under Panther. Then I upgraded to Tiger. Now Preview puts-up a huge window that covers nearly the whole screen, despite PageSize properly declared. I grew tired of this and gave up.

While still hopeful I produced a paper on `PostScript in groff' at the groff forum, perhaps
it would be of interest to you:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2006-07/msg00105.html

Good luck

Miklos