help-gv

Re: [help-gv] Command-line options for gv 3.6.x

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [help-gv] Command-line options for gv 3.6.x
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:02:58 +0100

    > If you use getopt_long_only, GNU getopt will parse both -foo and --foo
    > as long options.  I think that might work out ok for gv.

    That looks appropriate.  There are two different worlds: (a) standard UNIX
    utilities, which allow one to stack lots of single letter flags in a
    single argument introduced by a single, and (b) others.  The GNU approach
    of a double hyphen to introduce multiletter options is only needed for the
    first class of program.  There are many programs in the second class of
    program, e.g., typical X11 programs and much TeX related software, not to
    mention graphics viewers including gv and acroread.

    As a user, I find the getopt_long_only behavior, however implemented, to
    be the least bothersome, since then I don't have to remember exactly which
    programs use double hyphens and which single.

Well. I think the decition is made: i am going to write
getopt_long_only support this night into CVS gv.

Many thanks for your support! :)