Re: How to properly upgrade Guix System & Home?

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: How to properly upgrade Guix System & Home?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:02:55 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Quoting Maxim Cournoyer (2023-03-24 19:03:25)
> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:
> > Quoting Julien Lepiller (2023-03-22 18:24:37)
> >> Most likely, you're just seeing a weird behavior caused by grafts. […]
> >> When you reconfigure, guix needs to download the ungrafted package
> >> before it figures out it already has the graft.
> >
> > Oh… Oh… grafts! 🤯
> >

> >> Since they have the same name and version, I think you're just
> >> cwnfusing the two :)
> >
> > "Confused" is the appropriate word, indeed! 😅
> >
> > The thing is, I've been (for the last few months! 😱) in the process of
> > writing home services definitions to replace **all** my configuration files,
> > so I run **a lot** of `guix home reconfigure`. The command usually takes 30
> > seconds to run, but right after I `guix gc` it takes 10 minutes. So I
> > guess I should stop collecting garbage for the time being, which is most
> > inconvenient for it saves more than 4Go of disk space.
>
> I think we should do something on Guix's side too; it'd be more
> intuitive and save resource/time if the things needed by grafts were
> always available, i.e. prevented from being garbage collected.

I remember that something was said about grafts during the Guix Days.
But, for what I remember, it was more making sure that something that has been
grafted is ungrafted.
And, as I'm not exactly sure I understand everything about grafts, I going
to read (again!?) <https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2020/grafts-continued>.

Regards,

--
Tanguy