Re: New Guix Version and printer

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: New Guix Version and printer
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 14:26:25 +0200

Hello,

Am Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 12:14:48PM +0000 schrieb Gottfried:
> if I install Guix 1.3.0 on a laptop, and it is without a printer installed,
> will then be in future when the next Guix Version will arrive, and the
> printer is then included,
> automatically through updating the printer be installed?

automatically no - you may have to add the corresponding lines to the
OS definition, something such as
            (service cups-service-type
                     (cups-configuration
                       (web-interface? #t)
                       (extensions (list cups-filters hplip-minimal))))
and then reconfigure, then use the CUPS web interface to install the
printer.

Do you mean that your friend has a printer that is currently not
supported by hplip-minimal, but will be supported soon? (Notice that
this is less a question of Guix, but rather of the availability of free
drivers.)

Andreas