Re: nmtui - user authorisation

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: nmtui - user authorisation
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:50:29 +0100

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:39:52 +0000
Paul Jewell <paul@teulu.org> wrote:

> On 27/12/2021 23:20, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 10:07:17PM +0000, Paul Jewell wrote:
> >> Solved this - nmtui needs to be run as root; my script which
> >> invoked the program didn't consider that. Changing it to run as
> >> sudo gives me an opportunity to enter my password, and then
> >> successfully setup the wifi interface details.
> > Another option is to add nmtui to the list of programs that are
> > setuid. That way, any user on your system could configure wifi,
> > which may be more ergonomic.
> >
> > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Setuid-Programs.html
> >

> This option did work as expected. The only additional point for
> anyone else coming across this post with the same issue: remember to
> add the
>
> #:use-module (gnu system setuid)
>
> so the setuid record is known.
>
> Thanks Leo!

Uhm, I'm pretty sure NetworkManager lets any user modify networking
settings as long as they are in a certain group?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NetworkManager#Set_up_PolicyKit_permissions

At least that's how it is on postmarketOS and I'm also fairly certain I
never needed root access to set up WiFi under Guix either, but I don't
have a system at hand to verify that on.