Re: How to add custom channels to ISO

From: Elais Player
Subject: Re: How to add custom channels to ISO
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:15:07 -0600

You could add the custom channels file as an =extra-special-file=[1] in the =os-configuration=.

It would look something like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define %my-installation-os
 (operating-system
   (inherit installation-os)
   (services
    (cons*
     (extra-special-file
       "/etc/guix/channels.scm"
       (local-file "/path/to/my/channels.scm"))
     (operating-system-services installation-os)))))
#+END_SRC

Plus side is you now have a global channels file from which all you need to do is run =guix pull= to have all your channels up to date. You may also want to pin those channels to certain commits just in case. Down side is running =guix pull= will start filling up your disk or memory on an ISO and you can easily run out of space. (I would advise not running =guix pull= until after partitioning and setting up the target system), and this file will be added to the store (but if you're creating a channels file in =/etc= shouldn't matter honestly).

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

Hello,

I'm migrating to a newer machine and I'm taking my GuixSD configuration with me.

So the first logical step I did was to create an ISO image based on this section [1]. As I use my custom channel with modified packages I added them to the configuration to make them available on the new machine.

Or so I thought. I booted and partitioned the new machine then ran guix system init /root/configurations.scm /mnt to install Guix there.

However, after reboot turns out that the packages are not from my channel but from public Guix repository without modifications.

Therefore my question is if it's possible to specify also channels in the configuration file so that they are used during installation?

Reading the manual I came to a nice command guix system describe [2] which gives me the current configuration with the channels. Could that be used to build an ISO which would then also know about the additional channels?
Kind regards
Petr

[1]: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-the-Installation-Image.html [2]: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix-describe