Re: Xdm trisquel login fails after installing gajim on a fresh guix inst

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: Xdm trisquel login fails after installing gajim on a fresh guix install (works after rolling back)
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 17:35:31 +0000

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 10:30:17 -0300
"Adonay Felipe Nogueira via" <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> It might not be enough, but did you enable build substitutes when you were
> asked by the guix installation script?

Actually, I don't remember seeing that question. Maybe they are disabled then,
I will enable them.

> In general, you don't need to look those up unless a build process insists on
> failing or has another bug of some sort. The process I did came up to find
> those is somewhat complex, but still if you do want to follow mine, please
> read on.
>
> Most logs are kept at "/var/log/guix/drvs", but I do agree that you might
> need to do some searching, like this (lines starting with "$" are command
> lines):

Thanks for the great tips, very helpful.

There are 138 files more recent than the generation before last. The names of
the .drv.bz2 files apparently include package names but I see nothing with xorg
or texlive, even in the older ones, while I am sure I saw them listed on the
output.

Could that be visible inside of other .drv files in /var/log/guix?

> I think this is related to the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable. While
> "/etc/profile.d/guix.sh" does have some directions to set it, I had to put
> the following into my ~/.profile file in order to login:
>
> ---- Start of text ----
> export
> XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/local/share:/usr/share/${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
> ---- End of text ----

Excellent, it solves the problem.

> I did not have time to research ways to avoid this, but I guess that I'll
> have to fiddle with "/etc/profile.d/guix.sh" itself in order to test it more
> effectively.

The line there is a little different but I am not able to say whether that
should do the same or not. I guess I should spend more time on the bash manual,
this is perhaps one of the most useful manual to spend time on.

Anyway, thanks for the very good help !

David.