Re: mount.davfs: program is not setuid root

From: Simon Streit
Subject: Re: mount.davfs: program is not setuid root
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:25:58 +0200

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 08:47:08PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:30:13PM +0200, Simon Streit wrote:
>> > I just tried again, and called mount as:
>> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> > /run/setuid-programs/mount -t <URL> ~/test/
>> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>> > where URL is my remote URL share trying to mount it to local test dir,
>> > where it fails with:
>> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> > /run/current-system/profile/sbin/mount.davfs: program is not setuid root
>> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> So, '/run/setuid-programs/mount' is somehow resolving to
>> '/run/current-system/profile/sbin/mount.davfs'?
>>
>> The executables in /run/setuid-programs are not supposed to be links.
>>

> From the ./configure script in davfs2:
>
> I've attached a diff against guix and also a davfs.scm for building just
> the modified davfs2. Can you try building it with `guix build -f
> davfs.scm` and then use the mount.davfs from there to try mounting your
> davfs mountpoint?

Alright, I finally got your modified file into my system declaration to
test it.  Guix has a steep learning curve, and am glad to be getting
better at hacking on it every now and then.

Now this error message doesn't appear any more.  While entering
`mount.davfs host ~/foo`, I get a:
bash: /home/ss2/.guix-profile/sbin/mount.davfs: No such file or directory
and trying it with `/run/setuid-programs/mount.davfs host ~/foo`:
/run/setuid-programs/mount.davfs: no entry for /home/ss2/foo found in /etc/fstab

Which has to do with the fact that this mount does not exist in
/etf/fstab.  But so far there is no way to put an URL into system
declaration.  The manual states that there can only be a file system
label, UUID or the name of a /dev node.  So I simply tested it by
manually adding a mount to /etc/fstab, and it didn't work there either.

I'm not really sure what to do now.  Shall I post a bug report?  And if,
it may well be necessary to extend the file-systems module to
accommodate webdav mount points.  I'm not sure if it is high on anyone's
agenda, or if I could make a feature request to have this implemented.

It seems to me, that it doesn't happen that often someone would need to
mount a webdav.

Cheers
Simon