Segfault when building GTK+ application with Meson

From: HiPhish
Subject: Segfault when building GTK+ application with Meson
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 21:21:39 +0100

Hello everyone,

I have a weird problem: when I create a Guix environment for GTK+ development
and when I use Meson to build the project I get a segmentation fault when I
run the compiled application. I have tried with a basic C example from Meson's
website[1]. Here is the environment manifest:

    (specifications->manifest
      '("gcc-toolchain" "meson" "ninja" "pkg-config" "gtk+@3"))

I enable it as usual: `guix environment -m guix.scm`. Then I compile it with
Meson as usual and run it:

    $ meson build
    $ cd build
    $ meson compile
    $ ./demo
    Segmentation fault

The C code, stripped down to the base basic of what it takes to trigger as
segfault:

    #include <gtk/gtk.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    static void activate(GtkApplication *app, gpointer user_data) {
        GtkWidget *window;
        GtkWidget *label;

        window = gtk_application_window_new(app);  /* <--- Note this */
    }

    int main(int argc, char **argv) {
        GtkApplication *app;

        app = gtk_application_new(NULL, G_APPLICATION_FLAGS_NONE);
        puts("Hello");

        return 0;
    }

If I remove the marked line above the application terminates normally.
However, if I compile the above code with GCC it works fine:

    $ gcc $(pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-3.0) main.c
    hello

    $ gdb ./demo core.32123
    GNU gdb (GDB) 10.1
    Reading symbols from ./demo...
    [New LWP 32123]
    Using host libthread_db library "/gnu/store/
fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
    Core was generated by `./demo'.
    Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    #0  0x00007fe962f75f2c in call_init (l=<optimized out>, argc=argc@entry=1,
argv=argv@entry=0x7ffdd0e22cf8,
        env=env@entry=0x7ffdd0e22d08) at dl-init.c:74
    74      dl-init.c: No such file or directory.

It would be really nice if you could help me track down the issue because it
affects more than just GTK+, but I have not been able to narrow its source down
any further. I have attached the source code (I hope that's OK with the
rules).

To provide some background: I want to get into GTK+ development and Vala, so I
tried running the Vala language server. It has a bug which has been fixed in
the current master branch, so I tried compiling from source, but I get a
segmentation fault there as well. The only dependencies GTK+ 3 and the Vala
language server have in common are glib and json-glib, so my guess is that's
it's something inside glib. The language server does not segfault if I let
Guix build it, only if I use Guix to set up an environment and then compile it
from source myself.

[1]: https://mesonbuild.com/Tutorial.html