Re: calculate hashes for a new packages

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: calculate hashes for a new packages
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 22:00:41 +0100

Hello Zimoun!

On 3/10/21 9:19 PM, zimoun wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 14:21, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 08:14:43PM +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
>>> How does one calculate the hash for a package one wants to add to GNU Guix?
>>>
>>> I know 2 ways, giving me different results. One is for the repository
>>> folder and
>>> one is for the tarball:
>>>
>>> ~~~~
>>> guix hash --exclude-vcs --recursive .
>>> guix hash PACKAGE-VERSION-tar.gz  # a tarball created by guile-hall
>> Can you clarify your question?
>>
>> It seems to me that you already know the answer: You use the method that
>> is appropriate for your package. It depends on what kind of source code
>> your packages uses.
> Concretely, url-fetch
>
>    guix hash PACKAGE-VERSION-tar.gz
>
> or git-fetch (or other vcs):
>
>    guix hash .
>

> Maybe the question could be clarified. :-)
>

> Cheers,
> simon

Ah, I think I get it now:

If I for example created a tag for the version of my package and creation of the
tag caused the VCS host to create a tarball as release, I could go the url-fetch
way and then I would use `guix hash` on the tarball, which is the release
tarball, but if there is no release tarball addressable using a URL, I would use
the git-fetch way, which means GNU Guix would have to verify the downloaded
repository, so I calculate the hash using the other way.

So it all depends on what I specify in my package description, about how GNU
Guix is to retrieve my package.

Regards,
Zelphir

--