Re: Flatpak GTK+ application: no portal file chooser

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Flatpak GTK+ application: no portal file chooser
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 16:37:33 +0000

> Hi there,

Hi, Martin,

> I want to use `cherrytree` (a GTK+ note taking application) also on my Guix
> system and found the flatpak release. The installation of flatpak and this
> app from flathub worked fine so far but the app fails to open the file
> chooser dialog if I want to open/import any file.
>
> Here is the error message:
>
> (cherrytree:2): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:55:54.552: Can't open portal file chooser:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Keine derartige
> Schnittstelle ?org.freedesktop.portal.FileChooser? des Objekts im Pfad
> /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop
>
> I installed both `xdg-desktop-portal` and `xdg-desktop-portal-gtk`, all app
> specific dependencies (eg. GNOME Application Platform) were installed by
> flatpak, at least that is what I thought.
>
> I do not have the the GNOME desktop service installed but use bspwm as window
> manager, if this is relevant.

For what it's worth, I use the GNOME desktop, and that problem is common in
most of the applications I've tried from flatpak before. I remember Firefox and
Jami having the same problem (I don't know if the same error, though, I never
checked). But some other apps don't have that problem (e.g. Glade, Builder).