Re: Which dns server my system is using?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Which dns server my system is using?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:19:15 +0100

znavko@disroot.org 写道:
Yes, Tobias, I thought that 192.168.1.1 is just my modem and as far as my modem is not a DNS server I still
keep digging.

Are you sure?  Most home routers do include their own DNS server.

It's already running (GNU/)Linux, a DHCP server, and probably a tonne of vulnerable outdated software, after all. They might as well add a low-performance caching DNS server to completely overload its slow CPU. It could even be dnsmasq.

This built-in DNS server (or recursive resolver, to give it its Latin name) is advertised by the modem through the DHCP response. Your PC's DHCP client then wrote it to /etc/resolv.conf.

Does this mean I use those DNS servers my Internet provider uses?

In effect. When your PC asks your modem's stub DNS resolver for a DNS record, your modem will either return a cached response or it will reach out to whichever resolver(s) are configured in the modem firmware. Some modems let you change these from the ISP defaults, or even disable the function completely, others don't.

But DNSmask runs quickly and easy only with NetworkManager that I cannot stand for.

Yeah, this is how I use it (I quite like NM). I've never set it up on its own with Guix.

Can I use another DNS server? and may be I will be able to access those sites RKN banned,
for example realmusic.ru

I can't give you exact advice/commands but you absolutely can.

On a fully manual system, you'd edit /etc/resolv.conf and be done. Writing, e.g., ‘nameserver 9.9.9.9’ (not an endorsement) will send all DNS queries there instead of to your modem.

If you run any kind of daemon (even dhcp-client), it will probably want to manage /etc/resolv.conf for you. You'll have to ask it not to, or to write your preffered DNS server there instead of the autodiscovered one. The Guix manual doesn't seem to document how.

Kind regards,

T G-R