Re: find and install a LaTeX package

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: find and install a LaTeX package
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 08:17:42 +0200

On  9 Sep 21:43 Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 03:43:18PM +0200, Marco van Hulten wrote:
> > * Is 'texlive' really complete including all packages published on CTAN?
>
> I think so. The big "texlive" package is compiled from one big tarball
> published by the TeXlive project. I am not sure what they put into it,
> but I always thought it was all of CTAN.
>
> If in doubt, if you have space and if you might need a random CTAN package
> in offline situations, I would recommend the monolithic package. The other
> ones are definitely less complete.

Great, I'll do that for now.

On  9 Sep 22:02 Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:
>
> > * CTAN packages in Guix are sometimes named 'texlive-PACKAGE' and
> >   sometimes 'texlive-latex-PACKAGE'.  I find it hard to decide if
> >   something is LaTeX-specific, so should I search for something like
> >   'texlive*-PACKAGE'?
>
> Those named “texlive-{latex,generic,tex…}-PACKAGE” are old and are in
> need of serious fixes.
>
> Do not search for Guix package names.  Instead look at
>
>     $(guix build texlive-bin)/share/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
>
> and then deduce the name of the Guix package.

I did find out that instead of mhchem I can use chemmacros that popped
up in the output from this command.  But then I did 'guix package -s
chemmacros' (I suppose a stupid way to deduce the name of the Guix
package, but I suppose the name won't be hashed or something and thus
this should work), but no package came up.

Because of other issues and lack of time, I'll compile the document on
a different system.

—Marco