Re: Guix on Novena

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix on Novena
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 14:11:26 +0200

Replying to self:

On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 10:45:22AM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Will mounting /dev/sda1 to /mnt and issuing "guix system init config.scm /mnt"
> work? (The handbook suggests to do "herd start cow-store /mnt", but I forgot
> what this is needed for.) Will it populate only /mnt/gnu/store, or also
> /gnu/store from the place where I call "guix system init"? Since the latter
> is almost full.

Indeed this is a big problem: Everything is first stored in the local store:
The linux source, the deblobbing scripts, the deblobbed linux-libre source,
and so on; including a copy of guix as well as a grafted copy of guix.
Deduplication should help a little, but it appears only at the end of the
build. And being too generous with "guix gc" risks wasting hours of
compilation time. Instead I should have been more generous and replaced the
old micro-SD card :)

On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 07:23:33AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> Thanks for working on getting some armhf build machines going!

Well, it had been working previously with Guix on Debian, but the Novena
support has improved so much over the years that I wanted to try the full
Guix experience. If I do not manage, I can still do a Guix on Debian...

Andreas