Re: Guix Docker image inflation

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix Docker image inflation
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 23:54:42 +0200

On Fri, 29 May 2020 at 23:04, Stephen Scheck <singularsyntax@gmail.com> wrote:

> root@guix /# guix system list-generations
> guix system: error: open-file: No such file or directory:
> "/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/parameters"

Do you have '/var/' in your Docker image?  Because it looks like the same than:

> root@localhost /gnu/store# guix package --list-profiles
> /root/.config/guix/current
> root@localhost /gnu/store# guix package -d
> guix package: error: profile '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile'
> does not exist

In addition, you have that:

> root@localhost /gnu/store# guix package --list-profiles
> /root/.config/guix/current

and it is really weird because you are doing:

     guix package --install --fallback jq
     /root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix describe --format=json |
/root/.guix-profile/bin/jq

therefore, somehow, the profile '/root/.guix-profile' should appears
with '--list-profiles' too.

I do not know if it is a bug -- as Leo suggests -- or if something is
not configured as expected.  Well, I asked you about the initial
Docker images because it should come from this one.  The fact that
"guix gc --list-dead" outputs a lot of items and the fact that 'you
cannot garbage collect with "guix gc" leads me to think that something
is wrong with '/var/guix/'.  I do not know...

Well, does "guix gc --list-dead | grep guix-cli-modules.drv | wc -l"
return the same number than you have ran "guix pull"?

All the best,
simon