Re: What is the standard way to install a package so that all users may

From: Jay Sulzberger
Subject: Re: What is the standard way to install a package so that all users may use the package?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 19:46:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2020-03-16, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
I run mostly Debian and Debian derived systems.  One week ago I
installed Guix OS on a Thinkpad laptop.  The install was smooth.
Then I, as root, installed Emacs.  Of course, my regular non-root
user "jays", saw no Emacs.  I then, by some command of
symlinking, got Emacs visible to jays, indeed, the same
executable of Emacs is now used by both root and jays.

What is the standard way to install a Guix package so that all
users on a single hardware box, can use the package?  That is,
I'd like an install procedure so that by means of the procedure,
installation of a package is like, from one angle of view, just
using apt on a Debian system.

You would install it as part of the system configuration
(e.g. config.scm) and then run:

 guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm

Recent versions of guix system will include the previously used
config.scm and you can use that as a file to tweak:

 guix system list-generations

 Generation 12   Mar 15 2020 16:45:17    (current)
   file name: /var/guix/profiles/system-12-link
   configuration file: /gnu/store/...-configuration.scm

 cp /gnu/store/...-configuration.scm ~/config.scm

Edit that file to include the listed packages you want available for all
users and off you go.

Also a good idea to maintain this file in revision control, so you can
keep track of changes over time.

Ah, thanks, Vagrant Cascadian!  As I said to Adam Kandur, I just
idiotically missed the sub-section "Globally-Visible Packages" in
the section

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html

of the Guix manual.

That said, each individual user being able to select their own software
is one of the great features of guix, though it takes a bit getting used
to the different workflow. It's generally recommended to keep the system
configuration small; to each their own, though. :)

live well,
 vagrant

Yes, I know that being able to have different environments, with
tools to conveniently manage environments, is one big objective
of the Guix Project.  AND I TOO AM A BELIEVER!  But, of course, I
am incompetent at ed^Wvi^Wnano, so I always install Emacs first
when I set up a new machine.  (Thus for me Knoppix is the best
"Live Distribution" out of the box, because it comes with Emacs
already up and running.  Recovery is Possible GNU/Linux was once
a favorite of mine, but on new machines, it often does not boot.)

oo--JS.