guix browsers timezones are set to GMT

From: divan
Subject: guix browsers timezones are set to GMT
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 18:57:47 +0200

Hi Guix

I see timezones in browsers on my guix system are set to GMT.

An example would be qutebrowser and guessing ungoogled-chromium which
use qtwebengine.

Example website is browsing to
https://play.grafana.org/d/000000012/grafana-play-home?orgId=1

in qutebrowser one can run ":jseval alert(new Date().toString())" From
https://play.grafana.org/ and it reports GMT+0000 .

Browsing to the above with epiphany results in the correct local
timezone being set.

I understand for fingerprinting and privacy it's nice to have a
website not detect your correct timezone, though I'd prefer to have my
timezone detected correctly in these browsers.

Does guix do something special in the packaging of
qutebrowser/ungoogled-chromium/qtwebengine that causes this?

It seems to not occur on my colleagues systems with the same browsers.

I see my timezone on my system like so:

(operating-system
 (host-name "example")
 (timezone "Africa/Johannesburg")