Re: Automated system upgrade

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Automated system upgrade
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 19:16:17 +0100

Hello,

Jimmy Thrasibule <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020.
febr. 3., H, 13:37):

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know about the best way one would automate a Guix system
> reconfiguration. The idea is to put the system configuration stanza into a
> Git repository and then having the systems regularly pull from this
> repository and reconfigure.
>
> The way I see it so far would take the following steps:
>
> 1. Create a Guix package with all the system configuration (the package can
> call guix system reconfigure after install).
> 2. Create a Guix pull channel.
> 3. Have the system automatically pulling the latest revision. (??)
> 4. Repeat.

There is no need for 1 and 2.

> Does this plan is looking sane to you and how can I regularly pull the
> system's repository? Maybe using a service or a cron job?

You should create a service which updates a repo from the cron job and
then reconfigure.

There is something like this on berlin, you can have a look at the config
in the maintenance repository. Look for static-website-service. Hope
this helps.

> Regards,
> Jimmy

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21