Java fontconfig issues

From: Jonathan Frederickson
Subject: Java fontconfig issues
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 11:57:24 -0500

I've been trying to run PCGen
(https://github.com/PCGen/pcgen/releases) on my laptop running Guix
System, so far without success. I know that ideally all software would
be installed through Guix itself, but this thing is a Java app with
several dependencies that aren't in Guix yet and... honestly, right at
this moment, I'd be fine with running the jar directly for now.

However, when attempting to run this Jar with openjdk installed, I get
a null pointer exception related to some font configuration code. This
seems related to an issue on the AdoptOpenJDK repos[0], which was
solved in that case by installing the fontconfig package (on a Debian
install in their case). However, installing fontconfig into my profile
in Guix hasn't done the trick. There's a workaround mentioned
involving creating a fontconfig.properties file in JAVA_HOME, but
setting that as an environment variable didn't seem to do the trick
either.

While the specific application I'm focusing on is PCGen, this seems to
affect graphical Java applications in general; I tested with a
generic JAR build of Jitsi and ran into the same issue.

Can anyone familiar with Java provide some assistance in tracking down
this problem?

https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-build/issues/693