Tips for diagnosing ghost arrow key presses with USB keyboard?

From: David Wilson
Subject: Tips for diagnosing ghost arrow key presses with USB keyboard?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 09:15:51 -0800

Hi all,

I realize this might be slightly off-topic here but I figured it wouldn't hurt
to give it a shot:

On a laptop where I have an up-to-date Guix System installation, I use an
external USB keyboard while docked at my desk. With the keyboard plugged in,
I'm experiencing an annoying issue where there are occasional ghost keypresses
of the RIGHTARROW key. Using xev and evtest I've narrowed it down to events
coming from the USB device itself, presumably originating from the kernel
driver. I experience these keypresses both in a tty and in Xorg sessions. When
the USB keyboard isn't plugged in, everything works perfectly.

There doesn't seem to be any clear trigger that causes this issue so I'm having
trouble making further progress in fixing it. Anyone know of any other tricks I
could try to diagnose or alleviate the problem? If you have a good resource for
poking around with kernel drivers, I'd be willing to go that route to see if
it's a legitimate bug in the kernel.

Thanks!

David