grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of '/boot/efi'

From: Neil Mather
Subject: grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of '/boot/efi'
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2019 22:36:49 +0000

Hi there,

I'm trying to install Guix on a Lenovo Thinkcentre M93p.

I get the following errors right at the end of the installation process:

error:
'/gnu/store/dzr35fc1wvgkgz2d4qp3xzhn6wg313c-grub-efi-2.02/sbin/grub-install
--boot-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=Guix --efi-directory=/boot/efi'
exited with status 1; output follows:

Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
/gnu/store/dzr35fc1wvgkgz2d4qp3xzhn6wg313c-grub-efi-2.02/sbin/grub-install:
error: failed to get canonical path of '/boot/efi'.

guix system: error: failed to install bootloader
/gnu/store/kcimndl2hncnng4vhyylipabdxk7f0r9-bootloader-installer

This is using the guided graphical installer, with the option to use the full
disk.  I didn't change anything from the installer's suggested partition layout.

The machine does support EFI.

Out of interest, I tried installing via legacy BIOS, and that worked OK.

Any clues as to how to resolve the issue?

Many thanks
Neil