Re: Trying to install Guix System on a nonfree computer, the system frez

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Trying to install Guix System on a nonfree computer, the system frezees at booting, bug?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 17:03:11 +0200

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 03:31:44PM +0200, Jan wrote:
> >Maybe Debian works because it uses a
> >different kernel configuration, you could try.  If Debian works, then
> >Guix System could be made to work.
> Tried installing Debian 10 with GNOME and it doesn't look good either -
> instead of gdm, there's a cursor blinking, I could switch to a different
> tty, but after switching a few times from one tty to tty with gdm it
> froze.

Debian not working is not a good sign.  Note that without 3d
acceleration, Xorg should work on linux-libre and that it does not
work at all is a bug.  I do not know if someone knowledgeable with
enough time cares enough to fix it though, because it works with
nonfree firmware.

I believe the Guix manual and Guix website should warn about AMD.  I
have opened a bug:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36786

Regards,
Florian