Re: Changing user-account's shell

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Re: Changing user-account's shell
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:30:24 +0200

Le 04/19, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> skribis:
> > Le 04/18, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> >> Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> skribis:
> > Bug or feature?!
>
> I say “feature”, but we can discuss it.  :-)
>
> The (gnu build accounts) module, which populates /etc/passwd, considers
> the user shell to be “state”
> […]
> WDYT?

Definitively Feature! You've convinced me!
But, I guess, it will still feel weird for a little while not to see
the exact "state" describe in my config be applied on `reconfigure`.

I was thinking that maybe this could be documented like `password` is:

    You would normally leave this field to ‘#f’, initialize user
    passwords as ‘root’ with the ‘passwd’ command, and then let
    users change it with ‘passwd’.  Passwords set with ‘passwd’
    are of course preserved across reboot and reconfiguration.

Something like:

    … and then let users change it with `chsh`. Shells set with `chsh`
    are of course preserved across reboot and reconfiguration.

Anyway, thanks for your time geeks!

--
Tanguy