Re: 14.1 Building from Git

From: mikadoZero
Subject: Re: 14.1 Building from Git
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:20:02 -0400

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I did copy the suggested exports that were output when I ran `guix
>> package --manifest=manifest.scm` into .zprofile and they were:
>
> I suggest to not do this and to add this snippet instead:
>
>     export GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
>     source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile

It is now in my .bash_profile.

>> I commented out all of the above export of environment variables in
>> .zprofile and ran `guix environment --pure guix` then ran `printenv` but
>> that has not changed the order.  /root/.guix-profile directories are
>> still first.
>
> “guix environment --pure” spawns a sub-shell.  You need to ensure that
> for sub-shells the variables are not set — this is currently not the
> case as evidenced by printenv.  I don’t know about what files zsh reads
> under what conditions, so I cannot recommend a way around this.
>
> You could also try to use Bash instead.

Thank you

I have been able to switch my non root users shell from zsh to bash.
Now with a user that has a bash shell I am able to continue on using the
contributing section of the manual as a guide and can do: bootstrap,
configure, `./pre-inst-env guix lint package-name` and `./pre-inst-env
guix build --rounds=4 package-name`.