Re: I think I got a PewDiePie virus

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: I think I got a PewDiePie virus
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 17:59:06 +0100

Le 2019-02-07 17:25, Luther Thompson a écrit :
While doing a `guix pull` on the GNOME terminal, I noticed this:

building /gnu/store/4l1f4m8d070mk6w30ky45w13k3ch8dv6-guix-system.drv...
 12%
[######################## ]
PewDiePie
84,376,468 subscribers
Get me to 17 mil thank
building /gnu/store/jvli7lca37v94fg8ghfj1li311j7cbg0-guix-cli.drv...
[more `guix pull` output]
2019-02-07 Thu 10:06:56 ~$ PewDiePie
bash: PewDiePie: command not found
2019-02-07 Thu 10:06:58 ~$ 84,376,468 subscribers
bash: 84,376,468: command not found
2019-02-07 Thu 10:06:58 ~$ Get me to 17 mil thank
bash: Get: command not found
2019-02-07 Thu 10:06:58 ~$

The suspicious text did get into my bash history, so it may be
completely unrelated to `guix pull`. It's possible that they hacked my
keyboard input or the clipboard.

This appears to be the biggest security breach on a GNU system that
I've ever seen in my life. Does anyone know what's going on?

I did happen to watch a PewDiePie video [0] last night where he talks
about a virus that forces printers to print a message about him. The
above text does not appear in the printer virus's message, so it may be
unrelated. I have not rebooted since watching that video.

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pRh6edafrE

Luther

You probably copied the text from youtube and later pasted it in
your terminal, while guix pull was running. It looks a lot like
this: the text could easily come from youtube and it looks like
it was pasted there during the build of guix-system. I don't think
that's a virus or anything, you probably middle-clicked by
accident on your terminal.