Re: My second impression for GuixSd

From: Yoshinori Arai
Subject: Re: My second impression for GuixSd
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 11:59:11 +0900

Thank you for your reply,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:49:41AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yoshinori Arai <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan.
> 21., H, 3:20):
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have finished system reconfigure successfully at second time. I think what
> > configuration is better for who can't install package by self at first or
> > can't
> > use command in console and their PC is old, no enough memory...
> >
> > So my configuration has many packages for system wide, all locales,
> > webbrowser,
> > input method etc.
> >
> > I have some question in operating-system configuration,
> >
> > 1. How can I specify the menu-entry for no initrd? I tried as follows,
> >
> > (menu-entry (label "Wara GNU/Linux lfs-8.3")
> >             (linux "(hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.9-libre-wara-8.3")
> >             (linux-arguments '("root=/dev/sda3 ro"))
> >             (initrd ""))
> >
> > It's can be used but grub show warning: no file.
> >
> > 2. How can I add system service without system reconfiguration?
> >

> You can't, but such a reconfigure should not take long. You can even
> build the system in advance,
> and it takes even less time. This way guixsd can guarantee, that you
> have a generation for all your
> changes, and can roll back. If you have not guix pulled between to
> reconfigures, then they only do
> the needed package installations and configurations. Usually reboot is
> not needed either in these cases.

I think it's need several trial to get useful system configuration. The
availability of system roll back will get after got the useful system
configuration.
I know it's no long time to reconfigure the system.

> > 3. Can I make %custom-services inherited from %desktop-service like as
> > package?
> >    I know can delete or add service.
> >
> > (define %custom-services
> >     (inherit %desktop-services)
> >     (cons* ....))
> >

> %desktop-services is just a list, you can simply cons* your nem
> services, and use 'remove' to remove a service,
> along the lines of:
>
>    (remove (lambda (service)
>                (eq? (service-kind service) avahi-service-type))
>              %desktop-services)
>
> You need srfi-1 to make this work.
> This is documented in the manual here:
> https://guix.info/manual/en/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
>

> > Best regard.

I understand it's easy to add or delete item of service from service list.
I think just it'll be convenient if one can add system service or system wide
application without reconfiguration.